The principles of FAF Developments developed and lead the GRAPE Project efforts to market Afghan grapes, raisins and other produce on behalf of and in partnership with various marketing and grower associations associated with the project around the world. A grape and raisin market system designed, implemented and standardized the manner in which grapes and raisins were processed and packed in Afghanistan. Many “firsts” for Afghanistan were obtained in this project:
- First commercial shipment of Afghan grapes to Jeddah and Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Moscow, Russia; Kuwait City, Kuwait; Kiev, Ukraine; Frankfurt, Germany
- First shipment of Afghan fruits to Washington, DC; First commercial shipment of refrigerated grapes to Delhi via land; First sale and shipment of Afghan sun-dried raisins “European Quality” to Ukraine and Russia, 1,000 tons.; First commercial test shipment of Pomegranates to London;
- First alternative marketing opportunity for Kandahar; International sales increased prices 25-40% during peak season; First use of a pre-cooler in Afghanistan to market grapes; First government-to-government meetings in 30 years in Kuwait;
- First government-to-government meetings in Moscow in 25 years;
- First government-to-government meetings in Ukraine, with talks of setting up an Embassy in Kabul and direct flights from Kiev to Kabul; opening an Afghan Trade Office was also discussed.